Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Reflections on 2012

Happy 2013!

If my Facebook feed is any indication, it seems like 2012 was a polarizing time.  Some folks had a great year while others are sighing in relief that the last twelve months are over.  It seems like no matter what, everyone experienced a lot of change.


For me, 2012 was a trying year, one that threw many challenges my way.  I'd like to say that I handled them all with grace and came out relatively unscathed, but that's not true.  2012 was the year of never-ending frustrations and it wore me down. 

Right before last Christmas, I found out I had a Vitamin D deficiency and learned my body could no longer tolerate birth control pills.  I then rang in the New Year with a trip to the ER.  Early in spring, Mike deployed overseas and both of us went through one of the hardest deployments in our relationship.  The last few months have brought a complete diet switch for me, a terse and negative election season, a friendship that painfully deteriorated out of the blue, and a very full schedule between work and teaching. 

Over our Christmas vacation to Jamaica (details forthcoming!), I had time to ponder this past year and what lies ahead.  It's been a thought at the back of my head for some time, but I've realized that I'm not satisfied with some key aspects of my life, mainly in the area of work-life balance.  With my tolerance for stress and frustration waning, 2013 needs to be different.


I'm still working out the details.  I have some self-reflection ahead to make vague feelings into coherent thoughts and then turn those into actionable plans.

I don't have concrete New Year's resolutions but vague goals.  I want to:


Be physically healthier
Have more satisfaction at work
Continue with financial watchfulness
Make rest-and-relaxation a habit

What are you hoping for in 2013?      

No comments:

Post a Comment