Thursday, October 13, 2011

More Testing Required

So my doctor's appointment this week didn't advance my situation much. 

We are still pursuing either polycystic ovary syndrom (PCOS) or Cushing's as the culprit of my health issues.  The bloodwork I did last month is insufficient to say whether I have one or the other.

Over this next month, I will be doing three additional tests:
  • 24-hour urine collection (yes, all of it)
  • 2 midnight saliva swab (back to back)
  • 1 Dexamethasone suppression testing

That last one involves taking a steriod at night and then getting blood drawn in the morning.  You can get an idea of what each is looking for here.


We'll be discussing the results at my next appointment in mid-November. It takes that long to run all the tests - they have to be done in a specific order and some are processed up at Mayo.

That's really all the more I know.  Even if these new tests give us a better indication of what I have, there is additional imaging testing after that for final confirmation.

At this point, it's just nice to have this process started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment